1. The detectives tried to elicit where the suspect had hidden his loot.
(A) draw out
2. Mr. Chang is still an eligible bachelor.
3. They eliminated the possibility of reunion.
(C) ruled out
4. The elite of society attended the reception for the visiting governor.
(C) distinguished members
5. No elixir has so far been discovered to cure the inveterate disease.
6. The rich girl decided to elope rather than endure a big wedding.
(A) run away with a lover
(B) remain single
(C) commit suicide
(D) pursue happiness
7. They gave the eloquent orator a warm reception.
8. He was called upon to elucidate the disputed points in his article.
9. Inspiration need not be forever elusive.
10. Ancient Greeks wished to live in the Elysium when dead.