1. Don't attempt to increase your stature by decrying the efforts of your opponents.
2. The members decided to defer voting until the next meeting.
(A) put off
3. Do you treat your parents with deference ?
(D) great respect
4. The clerk assumed a defiant attitude toward his employer.
(D) disobedient; rebellious
5. The hoodlums defiled the church with their scurrilous writing.
6. The pianist has extremely deft fingers.
7. It is a pity that liberty often degenerates into lawlessness.
8. Will such an important person deign to answer your letter ?
9. The Chang sisters and brothers are delectable companions.
10. If you delete this paragraph, the composition will have more appeal.
(C) strike out