1. It is everybody's knowledge that Bert is Jimmy's crony.
(B) buddy; chum
2. Being a stranger in town, he inadvertently took a crooked road.
3. The bushman crouched behind a rock and watched the white men.
4. During the stagflation, the company was undergoing a crucial test.
5. Their nation has stood the crucible of war.
(A) severe test
6. I wonder if he understands the crux of the matter.
7. The mother cuddled her baby in her arms.
8. The cop beat the mad dog with a cudgel.
(C) short, thick stick
9. The stranger took his cue from the actions of the natives.
10. Chinese cuisine is known all over the world.
(D) style of cooking